Adum et al. (2019)
|Adum et al. (2019)|
|Title:||Awareness of Copyright Laws among Select Nigerian University Students|
|Author(s):||Allen Nnanwuba Adum, Ogochukwu Ekwenchi, Emeka Odogwu, Kobimdi Umeh|
|Citation:||Adum, A.N., Ekwenchi, O., Odogwu, E., and Umeh, K. (2019) Awareness of Copyright Laws among Select Nigerian University Students. 86 Journal of Law, Policy and Globalization 183|
|Link(s):||Definitive , Open Access|
|Key Related Studies:|
|About the Data|
|Data Description:||Data were obtained through a survey of undergraduate students (randomly selected at department level) at Nnamdi Azikiwe University Awka totalling 400 respondents.|
|Data Type:||Primary data|
|Secondary Data Sources:|
|Data Collection Methods:|
|Data Analysis Methods:|
|Cross Country Study?:||No|
|Government or policy study?:||No|
|Time Period(s) of Collection:|
“Copyright laws have been in existence in Nigeria since independence and gone through several reviews. Although the policy of “permitted use” in the copyright law allows the reproduction of publications for educational and private use, studies have shown that students of tertiary institutions infringe on the copyright law. This study investigated the extent to which university students, precisely, Nnamdi Azikiwe University undergraduate students are aware of copyright laws. We used the survey research method to study a sample size of 400 drawn from a student population of over thirty thousand. Questionnaire was administered as instrument for data collection. Results revealed that most of these students were aware of copyright laws and the consequences of violating the law, yet compliance with the law was low among them. It was also revealed that even though photocopying is the number one activity which violates copyright laws on campuses of tertiary institutions, not much is being done to enforce the law.”
Main Results of the Study
All students surveyed reported having awareness of copyright infringement, and the majority have awareness of copyright laws (60%).
All students agreed that the internet has provided a very accessible resource for researchers, and that indirectly this has caused an increase in plagiarism. 40% of respondents reported that they themselves had plagiarised, with the remaining 60% undecided. However, students were less likely to report their fellows undertaking acts of plagiarism, with only 4.4% knowing of such cases amongst their peers. This is contrasted with students’ perception of copyright infringement by their peers, which they view predominantly as high (43%).
Policy Implications as Stated By Author
The study recommends that the surveyed university develops policies on copyright infringement, promote awareness via workshops, seminars and notices, and to award accreditation for citations in student essays.