|Title:||Psychosocial factors influencing attitudes towards internet piracy among Nigerian university students|
|Author(s):||Ilevbare, F. M.|
|Citation:||ILEVBARE, F. M. 2008. Psychosocial factors influencing attitudes towards internet piracy among Nigerian university students. IFE Psychologia: An International Journal, 16, 120-129.|
|Key Related Studies:|
|About the Data|
|Data Description:|| Interviews with 250 participants. A total of two hundred and fifty participants were drawn through accidental sampling technique for this study. Their age ranged between 19-48 years. In all, one hundred and forty (140) representing 56%) of the total sample size were male with the remaining one hundred and ten (110) 44% were females.
Furthermore, one hundred and seventy (170) representing 68% of the participants were from the Yoruba ethnic groups, twenty (20) repressing 8% were Igbos, ten (10) representing 4% of the total sample size were Hausas, while the remaining fifty (50) representing 20% of the total sample size were from other minority ethnic groups in Nigeria. One hundred and forty one (141) representing 56.4%) had bachelor’s degree as their highest level of education, twenty-six (26) reprising 10.4%) had NCE/OND as their highest level of educational qualification, fifty six (56) representing 22.4% of the participants had master’ as their highest level of education, while the remaining twenty eight (28) representing 10.8% did not indicate their highest level of educational qualification.
|Data Type:||Primary data|
|Secondary Data Sources:|
|Data Collection Methods:|
|Data Analysis Methods:|
|Cross Country Study?:||No|
|Government or policy study?:||No|
|Time Period(s) of Collection:||
The study investigated psychosocial factors influencing attitude towards internet piracy among Nigerian University students. The ex-post factor research design was adopted. In all a total of two hundred and fifty participants were drawn through accidental sampling technique for this study. Their age ranged between 19-48 years. Three hypothesis were generated and subsequently tested using appropriated statistical tools. The outcome of the tested hypothesis revealed that sex difference was not found to significantly influence attitude towards internet piracy (t(2,248) = - 3.47, P<.05). Similarly, self-esteem was not found to significantly influence attitude towards internet piracy (t(2,248) = 0.40, P >.05). In the same view, consumers ethnic group was not found to significantly influence attitude towards Internet piracy (F(3,246) = .404, P> .05). Reasons were given why the outcome of this present study negates the outcome of previous study with emphasis on the socio-political situation in Nigeria. Based on this outcome, conclusions were drawn and recommendations were made.
Main Results of the Study
The study tested three hypotheses: 1. Male university students would significantly have more positive attitude towards internet piracy than the female university students 2. Consumers with low self-esteem would significantly score higher on attitudes towards internet piracy than consumers with high self esteem. 3. Consumers ethnic groups would significantly influence their attitude towards internet piracy. None of the three hypotheses was supported by the results.
Policy Implications as Stated By Author
The outcome of this present study has that contrary to previous studies, consumers’ sex differences ethnic affiliation and levels of self esteem were not found to significantly influence attitude towards internet piracy. This present study has shown that all these variable mention were not found to significantly predict attitudes toward Internet piracy among university students. Based on this findings which is peculiar to the Nigeria factor that have, in times having strong influence in almost every facet of people’s life within Nigeria, it hereby recommended that there is a need to be some amount of criminal prosecution for those who are illegally sharing copyrighted materials from the internet, and failure to prosecute anyone could led to the current situation in Nigeria where few people perceive the use of the software to be illegal. Education, however, is more important and key to curbing Internet piracy, and failure to acknowledge this can result in wasted time and effort by those who desire to develop copyright protection software in Nigeria and Africa at large.
Coverage of Study
|Level of aggregation:||Individual|
|Period of material under study:||2008|